British Rowing Sprint Festival – Cancelled

BR Sprint Fest, Cancelled

With regret, the event will not take place as planned this weekend due to the high probability of the local area of the National Watersports Centre entering Tier 3 of the Government’s Local COVID Alert Levels.

Announcement from the OC

The British Rowing Sprint Festival due to take place this weekend (31 October and 1 November) is cancelled given the high probability of the venue’s local authority (Rushcliffe Borough Council) being placed in the highest level of the Government’s Local COVID Alert levels (Tier 3/very-high risk).
Rigorous plans had been made for the event to be COVID-Secure in line with our Return to Rowing guidance. However, if Rushcliffe was to enter Tier 3, the travel restrictions at this level recommend people do not travel into the area from other parts of the country. Whilst organised sport, including rowing, is allowed to take part in Tier 3 areas, with clubs due to take part in the Sprint Festival from right around the country, the guidance regarding travel into Tier 3 areas makes it impractical to run the event based on British Rowing’ risk assessment.
We have been closely monitoring the situation, liaising with the National Watersports Centre and local authorities but have taken an early decision, before the restrictions are confirmed, to best help clubs and suppliers avoid any costs being incurred by a late cancellation. A full refund will be provided to the many crews that have entered.
We’re very sorry not to be able to provide an opportunity for what promised to be a weekend of really exciting, side-by-side, sprint racing. We would like to thank all the volunteers and clubs who have supported this event. We would also like to thank the Organising Committee for their work in developing rigorous plans for this event that will help enhance our guidance for competitions and all our suppliers, in particular the National Watersports Centre, for their support and flexibility.